Government Calls for Businesses to get Behind UK’s Biggest Domestic Tourism Campaign
Sign up now by visiting www.visitengland.org/2012offers
02 February 2012. Today at the British Museum in London the Secretary of State for Culture, Olympics, Media & Sport, Jeremy Hunt, called on tourism businesses to back the ‘Holidays at Home are GREAT’ campaign aimed at boosting domestic tourism this year. The event was one of many that Mr Hunt has recently hosted travelling around the country to engage with the British tourism industry, and encourage support during this exciting year for British tourism.
Aimed at inspiring more Brits to take a holiday at home this year, the campaign will feature a website offering thousands of special deals worth at least 20.12% off. Special offers will include hotel stays, meals, tickets to attractions and other exciting experiences. Partners who have already signed up include: De Vere; Travelodge; Golden Tours; Millennium Copthorne; Hoseason’s Group; Bourne Leisure; Superbreak; The Eden Project; and The Coach Tourism Council. Those businesses who wish to take part in the campaign should go to www.visitengland.org/2012offers.
Led by national tourist board, VisitEngland, and supported by the home nation tourist boards of Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland and London, the campaign will launch on the 8 March with a celebrity-led TV advertisement. The advertisement will show case the country and highlight the key events taking place including the London 2012 Olympic & Paralympic Games, the Torch Relay, London 2012 Festival, and the Queen’s Diamond Jubilee.
The event at the British Museum was attended by London & Partners and over 200 tourism businesses and stakeholders from across the capital.
James Berresford, VisitEngland’s Chief Executive said:
“This year is an unprecedented opportunity for this country to engage with new audiences and inspire visits from overseas and at home. This is the year to take a break at home – with so much going on throughout the country there really is no better place to be. We want to work with the industry to incentivise Brits by offering them thousands of reasons to choose this country first for a holiday. Join us in making this year a great year for British tourism!”
Notes to Editors
• The website will be live on the 8 March to coincide with the TV advertisement.
• The home nation tourist boards include: VisitScotland, VisitWales, Northern Ireland Tourist Board, and London & Partners.
• The TV ad will run for 2 months and will reflect the GREAT branding launched late last year by the Prime Minister.
• The campaign is funded by £4million of additional funding from the Government’s Olympic Executive.
• VisitEngland is the country’s national tourist board. We work in partnership with the industry to develop the visitor experience across England, plan national tourism strategy, grow the value of tourism in England and provide advocacy for the industry and our visitors
• Our work is underpinned by robust research and customer insights. You can access the latest in-depth market intelligence and statistics on www.visitengland.org/insight-statistics
• VisitEngland markets England under the Enjoy England consumer brand in the domestic market and markets England under the VisitEngland brand internationally
• England is a unique destination and a real powerhouse in global tourism. It represents 84 per cent of the total UK visitor economy, is worth £97 billion, and supports in excess of 2 million jobs
• More information can be found on www.enjoyengland.com and www.visitengland.org