WARM SEPTEMBER HELPS BOOST DOMESTIC TOURISM
16 January 2012. Figures released today by VisitEngland, the national tourist board, show that the number of domestic overnight trips taken in England in September last year grew by 22 per cent compared to 2010, while spend increased by 13 per cent. Holiday trips in particular were up by 19 per cent during September and visits to friends and relatives grew by 33 per cent, most probably boosted by the unusually warm weather enjoyed across the country.
Considering the year to date, the number of holiday trips taken in England from January to September 2011 grew by 5 per cent, compared to 2010. This represents almost 40million trips taken in the first nine months of the year, which is above pre-recession levels. Holiday spend for the same period increased 11 per cent compared to 2010.
All types of locations experienced an increase in holiday trips during this period; small towns fared the best with a rise of 10 per cent. Trips to the countryside and villages were up 8 per cent, and visits to the seaside grew by 3 per cent.
James Berresford, Chief Executive of VisitEngland, commented:
“The breadth and diversity of what England has to offer as a destination is evidenced by the fact that holiday trips have increased across the board; town, coast and countryside alike all welcomed more domestic visitors in the first nine months of 2011 than in 2010. The rise in the amount of visits to friends and relations is also very encouraging, as it is the perfect opportunity for hosts to show off all that’s great about their local area.”
For more information contact:
Sarah Long, Head of Corporate Communications Tel: 020 7578 1452, Mob: 07500555651, Email: email@example.com www.visitengland.org
Emma White, Corporate Communications Executive Tel 020 7578 1471, Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Notes to Editors
• GBTS has replaced the UKTS survey – a background to the survey can be found here: http://www.visitengland.org/insight-statistics/major-tourism-surveys/overnightvisitors/index.aspx
• The full results can be found here: http://www.visitengland.org/Images/September%202011-%20Commentary%20of%20results_tcm30-29728.pdf
• VisitEngland is the country’s national tourist board. We work in partnership with the industry to develop the visitor experience across England, plan national tourism strategy, grow the value of tourism in England and provide advocacy for the industry and our visitors
• Our work is underpinned by robust research and customer insights. You can access the latest in-depth market intelligence and statistics on www.visitengland.org/insight-statistics
• VisitEngland markets England under the Enjoy England consumer brand in the domestic market and markets England under the VisitEngland brand internationally
• England is a unique destination and a real powerhouse in global tourism. It represents 84 per cent of the total UK visitor economy, is worth £97 billion, and supports in excess of 2 million jobs
• More information can be found on www.enjoyengland.com and www.visitengland.org
ips in England up by a fifth during September compared to 2010